Sunday 15 April 2007

A private tour of Birmnghm

So, coming out of "Baggage reclaim" and going to the taxi area, there's a man with a sign reading 'Mr. Daddio.'

I put my hand out and say "Hi, I'm Sweet Daddio. I guess you're here to give me a ride"

Small shock at the offer of a handshake, but he gives me a good strong grip "Pleased to meet you Mr. Daddio. I'm Richard"
"Please call me Sweet"
"Alright, this all your bags?"
"Yes- I need to get some local currency". 2 minutes later, after a stop at an international ATM, we are walking through the lot to his "car." He is not a taxi, but more what we would a limo. It's a 4 door sedan. Bags go in the trunk then he opens the back door. I ask "Am I required to ride in back? Or can I ride up front and see where we are going?"
"Please do, if that's what you want. Come ahead."

Let me say, the 'Midlands' British accent is very understandable.

It was a most enjoyable ride. I learn that Birmnghm is England's answer to Detroit, with all British car making being done in the immediate area. We rode by Rover and Jaguar factories.

Directly he asks "I'm being paid flat rate to drive you, and you're my only fare today. Would you like to see Birmnghm?"

Of course I did. I comment on the number of Mosques, complete with prayer towers. This sets him on a rant, the gist of which is that the Turks are hard working, the Pakistanis are so-so, and that for some reason there are a large number who call themselves Palastinians and that they are gangsters who do not work and live off government assistance.

I ask about local food, and mention that the area has a poor reputation regarding food.

"No No No- we are breakfast eaters in this region. All our creative efforts go into breakfast, but you can get a good meal at tea as well. You up to walking this evening? Go 5 blocks south and 1 block west from your hotel and go to Loyds Bar."

Pub review coming up.

No comments: