Saturday 21 April 2007

My "War Eagle Moment"

The Auburn Nation is not as large as that of a lot of universities. For reasons beyond my comprehension, Auburn attracts no regional following like an Ohio State or Southern Cal, or even the University of Georgia. Everyone in Georgia is a UGA Bulldog fan, whether they or anyone in their family is an alumni or not. Basicly, only alumni are members of the Auburn Nation, also known as The War Eagle Nation. We certainly are not elitist, it's just not the character of the school, but we are a small tight knit bunch. There is a social obligation to shout "War Eagle" when you spot a fellow member.

http://www.wareaglemoment.org/

So Thursday morning I rise at 2:30 a.m. local time tocheck out of the hotel and get to the Birmnghm airport for an early morning flight. The taxi drops me off at the terminal at 3:45. The check in counter isn't opening until 4:00 but there are already a couple of people in line so I join the queu. A lady with a German accent falls in behind me, then soon 2 gentlemen are behind her. As the 2 men talk I notice they are American. Soon we are engaged in a conversation. I learn they are the people who make these signs hanging ove the interstate that tell you how far and how much time till the interchange you are looking for, etc. I tell them how much I appreciate those signs and say half jokingly "Y'all are pretty bright fellows. Where did you go to school?"

You guessed it. Next thing you know we are shouting out War Eagle and exchanging high fives and vigorous handshakes. The others in line were all puzzled at this sudden outburst so early in the morning and moved a few inches further from us.

And I am proud on their behalf to say they were in Birmnghm U.K. because they had closed a deal with the British equivalent of the DOT and will soon be installing these signs over there, doing their part to help the trade deficit.

War Eagle, Tim and John!

No comments: